- Mahama to be adopted as a Fante indigene in place of Mills
- Sex tape wasn’t screened; duo not students – KNUST
- Judicial Scandal: Sacked High Court Judge dead
- Addo-Kufuor appointed new president of Chamber of Mines
- Gov´t doing well with infrastructure but … - Imani boss
- Teachers ‘reject’ payment of salaries via E-zwich
- NPP grills Afoko in cross-examination over Crabbe’s case
- NPP can firm up unity before Nov 7 - KNUST lecturer
- Nigerian, 27, stabbed to death over stolen tooth brush
- Man Capital declared Best Non-Bank Finance House of the Year
More from News
- PHOTO: Actress Emelia Brobbey’s Husband Secretly Marries Another Woman
- Ghanaian Stars Vs Naija Stars! Juliet Ibrahim Hosts Female Celebrity Match (PHOTOS & VIDEOS)
- OMG: See What Happened To These Two After Consuming A Full Bowl Of Fufu
- Read This SHOCKING Confession Of A 16-Yr-Old Girl; I Cannot Do Without S3x
- Meet The Fetish Priest Who Is Happily Married To A Pastor
- Tiwa Savage And Teebillz May Remain Legally Married For The Next 18-Months Or More
- Another Central University Student Dies In Accident
- People Are Using Fake Birth Certificate To Register – Asiedu Nketia Alleges
- Voter registration: Take our qualms seriously – NPP to police
- 10 Foods To Eat To Lower Your Cholesterol; Number 8 Will Blow Your Mind
- Koala Robbers Reject Police Statements
- Eight Year-Old Boy Commits Suicide In The Central Region
- Gifty Anti Advises: Decide Whom You Give Your V**ina To
- Birin Hia Ne Yaawa 2
- Actor who gagged reports he slept with Wayne Rooney prostitute 'to be named in US'
- Improve Living Conditions Of Prisoners
- Nsohwe Ben Ni
- AWAREGYAE HONHOM
- Ghana Draws 2-2 With China At Outdoor Of New Cape Coast Stadium
- Birin Hia Ne Yaawa
- FA ME YE NEA WOPE
- I’m Still Legally Married To Obaapa Christie - Pastor Love
- 8 Ghanaian Foods For Survival
- Find Out Why This Man Killed His Wife In Ashanti Region
- I will ban pair trawling - Akufo-Addo assures fishermen
- Two Robbers Jailed 15 Years Each For Snatching Ladies Handbags
- Nii Kpakpo Brings Satire Home With 'Tonight'
- Sika Berima
- KNUST Sextape Causes Furore
- OWUO NA ADAN
- I Will Ban Pair-Trawling – Akufo-Addo Assures Fishermen
- AWAREGYAE HONHOM 2
- In The Hood
- OWUO NA ADAN 2
- AWAREGYAE HONHOM 3
- Sikaduro 4
- J.B Danquah Murder Trial: Suspect’s Fate Hangs
- YSEU DOME
- Genevieve Nnaji Shows Off Her Man Crush, As She Turns 37 Today
- Voter registration: Two buses carrying 'Ivory Coast' nationals impounded
- Voter Registration: Two Buses With 60 Ivorians Impounded
- Sikaduro 3
- PAPA INDIA
- PAPA INDIA 4
- Police Place Bounty On Baah Acheamfour's Attackers
- SOLDIER NII BA
- Almost 70% Of Dogs Caught Being Illegally Smuggled Into The UK Are Pugs Or Bulldogs As The Craze For Designer Pets Fuels Puppy Trade Misery
- Akufo-Addo behind my rejection – Yamoah Ponkoh
- Okokroko 2
- FA ME YE NEA WOPE 2
- Flora Ogilvy Posts Picture Of Prince Michael And The Duke Of Kent Having A Cuppa
- NPP will take out politics from the fishery sector - Nana Addo
- Bonsam Awieye 2
- Nollywood Actress Genevieve Is Dead
- Register and vote out NDC – Bugre Naabu
- Check Out Ajos' Comment About His Skin Bleaching Criticism
- PNDC days better than multiparty system – Rawlings
- PAPA INDIA 3
- Anthony 'TJ' Antell Jr shot and killed trying to stop gunman at Arlington Walgreens
- 'Violent thug' Akufo-Addo won't be president - Twum Boafo
- SOLDIER NII BA 2
- Anita Erskine Leads Broadcast Experts To Inspire Young Women
- What to expect the Ghana Music Awards red carpet this year
- From a street boy to the head of his own empire – the story of Abbeam Danso
- Sex tape wasn’t screened; duo not students – KNUST
- ECG Workers To Embark On Sit-Down Strike
- Cannes Film Festival to pay tribute to Robert De Niro with ‘Hands of Stone’ special screening
- YSEU DOME 2
- Burkinabe Government Frees 70 Ghanaian Haulage Truck Drivers
- 'Strange' Explosion At Bolgatanga Leave Residents In Fear
- Castro’s family blasts Nana Boroo for featuring Castro in his new video
- Sikaduro 2
- Togolese, Three Others Busted For SIM Box Fraud
- Bonsam Awieye
- Jeremy Corbyn Could Face ‘Stalking Horse’ Challenge After Labour Suspends 50 Activists For Racism In Run Up To Key Elections
- Gov’t committed to converting Polytechnics to Tech. Universities - Veep
- NDC, EC intimidating new voters in our stronghold – NPP
- Ignore NPP; Ashanti Region Is Not On Fire – Anyidoho
- In The Hood 2
- No Show At Afoko Trial
- KNUST sex tape: Female student's right to privacy violated - Faibille
- Poisonous Millipedes Invade 70 Communities In Western Region
- Owusu Bempah set for time on the sidelines
- Solar Energy Could Earn Ghana $38m Yearly – UNEP
- PAPA INDIA 2
- Congolese Minister Caught On Camera Masturbating In Office
- Yeji Prisons Camp Hit By Water Shortage
- 24 Most Expensive Cars We Have Seen On The Streets Of Nigeria
- ECG needs better leadership; not privatization – CPP
- Afro Arab CEO dash Kotoko players mouthwatering cash reward
- See Why Nana Yaa Has Put Childbirth On Hold; Reason Will Shock You
- Sex Before Marriage Is A Sin But I Do It Anyways - Actress
- Buy Made In Ghana To Make Workers Happy – Nduom
- Govt, Private Partnership To Deliver 1,000 Houses In Two Years
- Taylor Swift stuns in futuristic silver mini-dress as she leads the red carpet at the Met Gala in New York
- Everything That Happened At The Female Celebrity Soccer Match
- ECG workers to embark on sit-down strike
- Supreme Court hears Zanetor’s case today
- ‘Mahama has collapsed fishing industry’ – Fishermen lament
- Yamoah Ponkoh’s Nomination Withdrawn
- Wontumi chides IGP over NDC 'macho men'
- Nsohwe Ben Ni 2
- Leicester City Players And Fans Celebrate Winning The Premier League
- Abu Ramadan’s suit against EC thrown out
- NPP to meet Bawumia over religious comments
- A/R: Show proof of registration flaws or shut up - NPP MP
- Mahama to commission new Cape Coast Stadium today
- 'Puppy Doe' had been stabbed in the eye and had limbs pulled apart
- Other pets and people may be at risk from cruel perpetrator
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 16:52 GMT, 20 September 2013 | UPDATED: 11:08 GMT, 21 September 2013
The sadistic owner of a dog found with horrific injuries and signs of long-term abuse is being searched for as police warn that other animals - and even people - could be at risk.
The two-year-old dog, found near a Massachusetts play park, had been beaten, burned, starved and stabbed in the eyes in what was described as 'medieval' torture.
Animal rescue workers described the injuries inflicted on the pit bull, including a crude split to give it a forked serpent tongue, as the worst they had ever seen.
Cruel: This two-year-old pit bull was found with horrific injuries
Abused: Puppy Doe weighed only 18lb and had been stabbed, burned and tortured
'It is highly unlikely that this level of sadistic cruelty could be shown to one animal and not be part of a pattern involving other animals or perhaps vulnerable people,' district attorney Michael Morrissey said.
The dog's injuries were so severe that she had to be euthanized. When she was found in Quincy on August 31 she weighed only 18lb. A healthy weight for the breed and age is 40lb.
When she was first found it was thought that she had been hit by a car, but the true nature of her injuries soon came to light, Fox 25 reported.
Vet Martha Smith-Blackmore was so shocked by the extent of the abuse that she had to walk away and give herself a break as she examined the dog's body.
'Her joints were pulled apart like medieval times,' she told the Boston Herald. 'She was beaten, stabbed, burned over weeks to months and maybe her whole life. And could not walk.'
The vet added: 'When I saw how vulnerable she was and I understood immediately the duration of her suffering, my heart collapsed.'
Sweet natured: Despite having broken bones, crushed vertebrae and other injuries, the pit bull was friendly
Torture: The dog's limbs had been repeatedly pulled apart
Although there was no evidence of sexual interference, which the vet said can be seen in such abuse cases, the dog's joints had been separated from being pulled apart repeatedly.
Despite the pain and suffering Puppy Doe had clearly experienced in her short life, staff at the rescue center said she was sweet natured.
'Within hours of being found she had pain medication, food and love. She experienced some tenderness and some care at the end of her life,' Dr Smith-Blackmore said, adding that the dog's injuries were so severe she would have always been in pain if she hadn't been put down.
As well as the burn and stab marks, the dog's vertebrae had been smashed from being hit by a baseball bat or board.
In pain: The dog had suffered such extensive abuse that she had to be put to sleep
Horrified: Vet Martha Blackmore-Smith says she was heart broken by the extent of abuse the dog suffered
'Words cannot adequately describe the shocking suffering that Puppy Doe endured or capture the urgency in identifying who did this to her,' Mary Nee, president of the Animal Rescue League shelter that took her in, said
Police are asking anyone who recognizes the dog or has any information on who its owner may be to get in touch.
Quincy residents, moved by Puppy Doe's plight, have also been offering rewards for information leading to an arrest.