- 8 Fantastic Eyeshadow Ideas For Black Women To Achieve Different Looks
- Here’s What To Do If You Have Slow Growing Kinky Natural Hair
- Behold, Africa’s Jazz Maestro Hugh Masekela Is Coming To Nairobi
- 9 Dead In Bole Over 'Galamsey'
- I’m NDC, Jesus Christ Was A Social Democrat – Bombande
- ECG Arrests Over 5,000 'Power Thieves'
- PIAC Chairman Goofs Over Bus Branding
- Bombande Advises Against Social Media Ban On Dec. 7
- Lack Of Broadcasting Law Hampering Regulatory Efforts - NMC
- ECOWAS Can Fast-Track Development Through Innovations - Mahama
More from World News
- Germany has 5.5 million guns belonging to 1.4 million people
- Builder sold his house to fight against ISIS on the front line in Kurdistan
- Two Canadian teens so distracted by Pokemon Go game they inadvertently leave country and get picked up by border patrol
- Part of Birmingham shopping centre evacuated after person falls from balcony outside Debenhams
- 1.4m Britons will holiday in the UK this year rather than abroad for their dogs
- WTF: Popular Nollywood Actor Marries Gay Partner In UK (PHOTOS)
- Vanessa Gyan Finally Confesses; What She Said Is Really Shocking (AUDIO)
- Ghanaian Nurses Rejects Ghc 150 Allowance From Government; Reason Will Shock You
- Angel Obinim
- OMG! Kempinski Hotel Denied KOD And Joselyn Dumas Entry; Reason Will Shock You
- Find Out Why Ex Doe Said Shatta Wale Is Not His Class
- LOL! You Realy Need To See This Photos Of Lil Win As A Young Boy
- EC Warns Electorates Against Machecki.com; Find Out What They Said
- A Popular African Pastor Caught Sleeping With Married Woman; What Happened Next Is Really Surprising (PHOTOS)
- Shocking: What Bukom Banku Was Caught Doing On The Streets Will Blow Your Mind
- Angel Obinim 2
- 8 Lies A Mother Will Surely Tell Her Children. There Is No Need To Judge Her; Her Reasons Will Make You Cry
- Asore Fie
- Dangerous Couple Game
- Adwo Bene
- AgyaPa De3 Nti
- Nfa Wo Bayie Nku Me Fie
- Odo Apam
- Nipa Bone Nni
- Hon Kwabota
- Gye Nyame Di 2
- Ahuofe Patri Poses With Vica Michaels For A Photoshoot In Italy
- Odo Apam 2
- AgyaPa De3 Nti 3
- Gye Nyame Di
- Family Holds Remembrance For Late Prez Mills
- Kae Debi
- AgyaPa De3 Nti 4
- Chelsea 8-0 Atus Ferlach: Loic Remy nets a hat-trick and Michy Batshuayi bags a brace as Blues stroll to behind-closed-doors win
- Nfa Wo Bayie Nku Me Fie 2
- AgyaPa De3 Nti 2
- Station Master 2
- End Of The Mad Squad
- Here’s The Video Of Koffi Olomide Kicking A Female Dancer At JKIA
- Drunk Prophetess 3
- Station Master
- Nipa Bone Nni 2
- Drunk Prophetess 2
- Aliens 2
- Me Dane Wo 2
- Hon Kwabota Part 4
- Asamando Poma
- Me Dane Wo
- Hon Kwabota 3
- 2Fyngerz - POSSESSED (OFFICIAL VIDEO 2016)
- Hon Kwabota 2
- Where Is The Love 2
- Asamando Poma 2
- Drunk Prophetess
- Where Is The Love 4
- Where Is The Love 3
- Shots Fired At A Munich Shopping Centre With Police Investigation Underway
- Where Is The Love
- Drunk Prophetess 4
- Me Haw
- Government Settles Arrears To School Feeding Caterers
- Prof Mills'll help me win KEEA seat – Sam Mills
- Interesting! ECG Load Shedding Timetable Realeased; Find Out When Your Area Goes Off
- We’ll engage political parties on road safety issues - NRSC
- Odo Apam 3
- Stingy Rich Man In Love
- Attorney General Misled Parliament On Election Date Change - Mensah-Bonsu
- Bedford Boy Watches His Mother Drown As She Tried To Save A Friend's Child
- Include Skills Training In Tertiary Education - Haffar
- Dumsor Hits Parliament; MPs Abandon House
- This Is How You Check For Your Voters ID Registration Details
- Meet Angola’s Super Model With Disability, Lumenni Bombo
- Premier League managers as players: What was your boss like on the pitch before he took his place in the dugout?
- 6 Ways To Identify A Typical Nollywood Movie
- Celebrities and politics..what Mzbel, John Dumelo and Yvonne Nelson are saying
- Petroleum Minister Begs OMCs To Be ‘Sensitive’ In Price Setting
- Poll Date Change Rejection Surprising - Gyampoh
- Girls Absenteeism In School High During Menstruation
- I’m Disappointed In Parliament For Rejecting November 7 Date - MP
- We’ll Deliver On December 7 – Electoral Commission
- POTAG Slams Professor Aryeetey Over Conversion Comment
- EC To Amend Timetable After Rejection Of November 7 Date
- Mahama ‘Sitting On’ Dumsor Timetable – ECG Workers
- Find Out Why Shatta Wale's Fans Threaten Amanda Jissih
- Hillary Clinton chooses Virginia Senator Tim Kaine as her running mate
- Stingy Rich Man In Love 2
- You Wont Believe What A Woman Did To Office Thief Who's Always Stealing Her Milk
- 9 Dead In Bole Over 'Galamsey'
- Tragedy 3
- Tragedy 4
- See Behind The Scenes From Davido’s New Video With Tinashe
- Majority Leader Lays December 7 Election Instrument Before Parliament
- State Funeral Held For Late Abetifi MP
- Flagstaff House Declared No-Fly Zone
- Parliament Failed Ghana In Election Date Rejection – Ato Dadzie
- Music Video: UndergeeMelody returns with ‘Putu’
- Tragedy 2
- Prominent Nigerians Rain Praises On Mahama
- NHIA Takes Delivery Of Card Printing Supplies
- We Can’t Pay Interest On Government’s Deposits - BOG
- 7 Nollywood Actors Who Are Also Lecturers
- Cocoa Brown Season 1. Episode 1
- Stingy Rich Man In Love 4
- Sam Allardyce keen to appoint Sammy Lee as England assistant manager as he eyes reunion with former Bolton No 2
- NPP Rejected November 7 Because They Want New Register - PPP, NDC
- Vice President Urges Ghanaian Businesses To Partner Foreign Companies
- Hot Gossip! Kempinski hotel denies Joselyn Dumas and KOD entry
- 'Believe me!' Trump vows to fix America's crime, trade, immigration, manufacturing industry and place in the world in epic nomination acceptance speech (and, of course, it will all happen very fast!)
- Voter Register Exhibition Exposes EC
- Stingy Rich Man In Love 3
- 8 Fantastic Eyeshadow Ideas For Black Women To Achieve Different Looks
- End Of The Mad Squad 2
- Jesus Ernesto Chavez is the star witness against his former boss, Arturo Gallegos Castrellon
- Chavez admitted to 800 murders but knows there are more because he stopped keeping track after 800
- Castrellon is the alleged leader of the Barrio Azteca street gang
- Barrio Azteca was the go-to hit-squad for the Juarez drug cartel
- Castrellon, 32, is accused of orchestrating the murders of two Americans during a March 2010 drive-by shooting
- He claims he only confessed after he was tortured for three days by Mexican police who shocked his testicles and raped his wife
- A federal judge ruled last month that his confession can’t be suppressed, but his attorneys want a U.S. jury to decide
- Since Castrellon was arrested the murder rate in Juarez has fallen dramatically
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 22:13 GMT, 11 February 2014 | UPDATED: 22:15 GMT, 11 February 2014
In shocking testimony during the murder trial of an alleged Mexican drug cartel enforcer, the star witness in the case - himself a cartel hitman - told jurors that he stopped keeping track of the number of people he had killed when the number approached 800.
Jesus Ernesto Chavez Castillo, the star witness in the trial of his former boss, Arturo Gallegos Castrellon,gave grisly details about how Castrellon grew the Barrio Azteca gang from a Texas prison gang into the band of contract killers for one of Mexico's most violent drug cartels, the Juarez Cartel.
Chavez testified that he had a daily murder quota he was expected to meet to instill fear in police, elected officials and the public at large.
Hitman: Jesus Ernesto Chavez says he stopped keeping track of the number of people he's killed after 800
Chavez - under Castrellon's rule - says he helped earn Juarez, Mexico, the title of 'Murder Capital of the World' by killing thousands of people over a four-year period while working for the cartel.
In addition to the staggering number of murders for which Chavez has taken credit, the manner in which he killed is as brutal as it is shocking.
Chavez told jurors that he often beheaded or dismembered his victims as a means to impress his boss, Castrellon. The goal of each murder, he testified, was to make it as brutal as possible so 'that it would be big news.'
“I feel I did the right thing, since I did so much wrong,” Chavez said in court, explaining why he was now testifying against his former boss, according to Fox News.
Arturo Gallegos Castrellon, 32, is accused of killing two Americans, an employee at the consulate in Juarez and her husband, during a March 2010 drive-by shooting
Castrellon is on trial for ordering the murders of U.S. Consulate worker Lesley Enriquez, her husband, El Paso
County Sheriff's Officer Arthur Redfels, and Jorge Alberto Salcido
Ceniceros, husband of another consulate employee on March 13, 2010.
victims were gunned down after they left a children’s party. The
couple's one-year-old baby was found unharmed in the back seat of their
Authorities believe the victims were mistaken for rival gang members who mistook the white Honda Pilot in which the were riding for that of a rival cartel member from the Sinaloa Cartel - with which the Juarez Cartel has been engaged in a long, bloody turf war.
Consulate employee Lesley Enriquez, 35, and her husband, El Paso County Sheriff's Detention officer Arthur Haycock Redelfs, were gunned down after they left a children's party in March 2010
Ultimately, the Sinaloa cartel won the war and control of the drug-trade route through El Paso and the surrounding areas.
According to Fox, it could be impossible to ever find out how many murders the Barrio Azteca Gang is responsible for. A telling sign, however, is that fact that after 35 members of the gang were arrested in 2010, the number of murders in Juarez fell from 3,622 in 2010 to 2,086 in 2011.
By 2012, the number of murders was down to 751 - a number that would have been unheard of just three years earlier, when Castrellon and his gang were still on the streets.
a security analyst tells the network the real reason the murder rate is
down is because the war between the cartels has come to an end, with
Sinaloa the victor.
The couple's one-year-old daughter, now orphaned, is cradled by a policewoman in the wake of the 2010 shootings which killed her parents
'The murder rate in Juarez persisted
because you had two powerful criminal organizations providing the
weaponry, money and illicit drugs to push gangs to kill one another,' Stratfor Mexico security analyst Tristan Reed said.
In other words, now that the Sinaloa cartel is unrivaled in Juarez, the murder count has decreased.
warns, though, that Barrio Aztecas is still an active and powerful
street gang on the U.S. side of the border and has been implicated in
several high-profile murders in El Paso over the last several years.
'It is important to remember that Los Aztecas are still a very dangerous street gang operating in both Mexico and the United States,' Reed said. 'However, their ability to carry out violence as seen in 2010 is no longer around.'
Hit squad: A soldier patrols near the car in Juarez in which the U.S. consulate worker and her husband were shot dead in 2010