- WEDDING BELL RING: Hip Life Rapper Kwaw Kese To Host Big Wedding Soon
- Afia Schwarzenegger Speaks Again: I Will Rather Apologize To My Dog Than Kennedy Agyapong
- Woman Accused Of Raping Friend With Dildo In Court
- Lady 22 Hospitalised After Gang Rape
- Unsolved Murders: When Shall We Have Answers?
- Two Charge For Stealing Cocoa Beans
- National Horticulture Policy A Necessity
- I Have Laid Foundation For Development Of Upper East Says James Zuugah Tiigah
- Turkey’s President To Visit Ghana
- Chief Imam Joins Efforts To Restore Peace To Tafo
More from World News
- Kylie Jenner copies sister Kim Kardashian in dramatic red and black after Kanye’s show
- Woman gives cockroach a drink as West Australia suffers through a heatwave
- ESPN reporter Sage Steele shuts down interview with Arcade Fire frontman Win Butler
- Are these the worst Valentine's Day photos ever?
- Eamonn Holmes says 'Ruth Langsford wore out his old hips in the bedroom'
- EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: MP Joseph Boakye Danquah's Killer Busted
- Ken Agyapong Accuses Stan Dogbe Of Being Involved In J.B Danquah's Murder (EXCLUSIVE AUDIO)
- Watch Afia Schwarzenegger As A Working Girl At Vienna City (VIDEO)
- Afia Schwarzenegger Accuse Bishop Daniel Obinim Of J B Danquah's Murder (Full Statement)
- Watch The Amazing House Of Hon. Kennedy Ohene Agyapong
- So Shocking: Reggie Rockstone Confess: My Best Friend Slept With My First Wife (Video)
- Kumawood Actor Nearly Drowns On Movie Set
- I Did Not Kill J.B Danquah Says Stan Dogbe
- Aware Bone
- Woye Bonia
- Yaa Vida
- Bisa Kdei Surprises Becca With Flowers And Cake On TV (PHOTOS)
- Afutuo Part 2
- Late Actor Sikiru Adeshina Arakangudu Burial Photo
- 25 Year Old Boy Kills Father For Fighting Mum
- Woye Bonia Part 4
- Woye Bonia Part 3
- Aware Bonen Part 2
- Yaa Vida Part 2
- Woye Bonia Part 2
- Man Forced Girlfriend To Walk Naked
- Supreme Court Throws Out Suit Against Woyome
- Koala Robbers Missing
- Channel 4 Reveals Britain's Weirdest Council Houses In New Show
- AK47 Thief Threatened To Kill Witness
- Reverend Sister caught with something unexpected
- I Don’t Feel Threatened Says Kwabena Kwabena
- MPs Need Parliamentary Village Says Expert
- Pictured: The futuristic diamond-shaped home being built by Minder actor George Cole’s son on the banks of the River Thames
- How I Fell In Love With Tee Blizz Says Tiwa Savage
- Farmers Kill 25 Cattle Over Destruction Of Farms
- We Bet You Don’t Know The English Names For These 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits
- Ghanaian Born US Soldier Assaulted At US Embassy In Accra
- Love can be Frustrating but It is Neededâ€¦Ruby Gyang
- Watch 8 Nigerian Celebs Who Became Famous Through Reality TV
- Daniella Okeke Dazzles in new photo
- I always knew Jamil would be a Pampers Ambassadorâ€¦ Teebillz Boast
- Davido's Diehard Fan Goes Extreme
- Love Series with Akumaa Mama Zimbi: Chapter 2 – Misrepresentation of Love
- See The Gift Shina Peller Got for Olamide's Son As He Turned A Year Older
- The Bread Seller Was Just At The Right Place At The Right Time Tinie Tempah Speaks
- UK Weather Sees Arctic Blast Sends Temperatures Plummeting To 6C With 80mph Winds
- Student And Others Nabbed For Robbery
- Why I'm Still Single And Searching- Beverly Naya
- Chief’s Bodyguards Wounded In Attack
- My Stubbornness Brought Me Fame Says Davido
- I am ready to compete: Nana Konadu to contest 2016 presidential elections
- First Photo Of Ebuka Obi Uchendu And Wife's Honeymoon
- Snake Made Dad Lets His Young Children Play With Python Despite All Three Having Been Bitten
- Tata Steel Plant Fire In Port Talbot Sees Firefighters Battle 100ft Flames
- Immigration Service Embarks On Border Security Campaign
- 4 Of The ‘Wackest’ Rappers Ghana Music Has Ever Witnessed
- Kumawood Actor, Yaw Dabo Nearly Drowns On Set
- Victoria Lebene Mekpah releases sexy photo campaign to encourage Ghanaians to stop bleaching
- Single Mother Of Four Tina Rayson Jumped To Her Death From Blackburn Bridge
- Job Losses Continue Unabated
- Alleged Fraud At CJ’s Office: My Hands Are Clean Says Justice Adjei
- Nazi Death Camp Guard Reinhold Hanning, 94, Goes On Trial For Auschwitz
- Old Tafo: Muslim leader condemns violence
- See How Julius Agwu Apples Are Growing Fast
- It Will be Ridiculous For Me To Do Hip Hop Says Adewale Ayuba
- Emotional Trauma: I No Longer Believe In Love Actress Says Sapphire Obi
- Police Ignored To Send Dying Shot Mampong Nursing And Midwifery Training Tutor To Hospital
- Japanese MP Kensuke Miyazaki Was Having An Affair While His Wife Was Pregnant
- Nothing Is Wrong If I Rape My Boyfriend Singer Says Tina Newman
- Nollywood Actress Judith Audu Sustains Major Injuries (Pictures)
- British Scientist Who Helped Discover Gravitational Waves Has Dementia
- Moment Tesco Worker Flies Into Rage At Customer Who Is Taking A Photograph Of A Mispriced Item
- The look of love? Baby conceived on Valentine's Day born with HEART-shaped birthmark on forehead
- Life In Senior High School: 16 Acts Of Punishments By Seniors We’ll Never Forget
- Wife Found Top Cancer Scientist Hanged In A Rubber Fetish Suit In The Woods After He Took His Dog For A Walk
- Unemployment Cause Of Murder Cases Says Security Expert
- Shut Down Korle Bu For Total Overhaul
- Don’t Take The Law Into Your Hands Say DCOP Angwubutoge Awuni
- Governor Amosun Challenges Olu Jacobs, Others, Come Up With Reasonable Ideas
- Indigenous Rapper Phyno Breaks Record
- Rukky Sanda Delight Fans with Yoruba Attire (Photos)
- British Gas And EDF Are The Last Two Energy Giants To Cut Gas Prices
- How Victoria Kimani Was messed up
- It is Not a Must to Love Someone You Knowâ€¦ Ufuoma Ejenobor
- Tafo Saga: 40 Busted
- Calm Returns To Bomaa
- Oregon standoff sees occupier tell negotiators he wants 'liberty or death'
- Roses made from BACON - is this the ultimate Valentine’s gift?
- Actress, Adesua Etomi Makes First Music Video Appearance
- 5 Bravest Ghanaian Whistle-Blowers
- CF8 Superyacht Has A Pool In A Hole And An Eight Car Showroom
- Armsgate: EFCC Apprehends Wife Of Ex-Airforce Chief, Lara Amosu
- A Piece Of Peace: Self Value
- Baboon Has Its Feet Eaten By Cannibal Apes Sharing Its Cage At Egyptian Zoo
- Sarkodie Debunks Marriage Rumour
- Misery: Phone Credited by Spirit
- Listen UP: Vox Veezy – No Story
- Today’s Front Pages
- Police Officers Will No Longer Automatically Delieve S3x Abuse Claims From The Off, Says Met Chief As He Battles To Defend His Reputation Over Lord Bramall Probe
- See What Scares Mr Ibu Anytime He sees Them
- Vincent Tan promises to make Cardiff City debt-free within five years and agrees to convert £68m of debt into equity
- Case Challenging Woyome Ruling Thrown Out
- RMD Chasing Young Boys Away From The Market
- Iâ€™m Not a Jobless Womanâ€¦ Georgina Onuoha Brags
- Colorado Toddler Swallowed A Battery Which Burned A Hole In His Throat
- Engineers urged to incorporate sustainable development principles in projects
- Adam Johnson Timeline: After Sunderland Sack Winger, Sportsmail Takes A Look At Former England International's Career
- Watch sickening moment MASSIVE WART is yanked out of patient's foot in toe-curling video
- Police Warn Kwahu Residents : Stop Attacking Fulanis
- See What Happened To This Man After Stealing 13 Pairs Of Shoes
- Name And Shame Men Who Marry Young Girls Says UNFPA
- â€˜Hallelujahâ€™! Ace comedian Gordonâ€™s shocking Revelation
- South Africa Opposition MPs Thrown Out For Heckling Zuma Speech
- Jesus Ernesto Chavez is the star witness against his former boss, Arturo Gallegos Castrellon
- Chavez admitted to 800 murders but knows there are more because he stopped keeping track after 800
- Castrellon is the alleged leader of the Barrio Azteca street gang
- Barrio Azteca was the go-to hit-squad for the Juarez drug cartel
- Castrellon, 32, is accused of orchestrating the murders of two Americans during a March 2010 drive-by shooting
- He claims he only confessed after he was tortured for three days by Mexican police who shocked his testicles and raped his wife
- A federal judge ruled last month that his confession can’t be suppressed, but his attorneys want a U.S. jury to decide
- Since Castrellon was arrested the murder rate in Juarez has fallen dramatically
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 22:13 GMT, 11 February 2014 | UPDATED: 22:15 GMT, 11 February 2014
In shocking testimony during the murder trial of an alleged Mexican drug cartel enforcer, the star witness in the case - himself a cartel hitman - told jurors that he stopped keeping track of the number of people he had killed when the number approached 800.
Jesus Ernesto Chavez Castillo, the star witness in the trial of his former boss, Arturo Gallegos Castrellon,gave grisly details about how Castrellon grew the Barrio Azteca gang from a Texas prison gang into the band of contract killers for one of Mexico's most violent drug cartels, the Juarez Cartel.
Chavez testified that he had a daily murder quota he was expected to meet to instill fear in police, elected officials and the public at large.
Hitman: Jesus Ernesto Chavez says he stopped keeping track of the number of people he's killed after 800
Chavez - under Castrellon's rule - says he helped earn Juarez, Mexico, the title of 'Murder Capital of the World' by killing thousands of people over a four-year period while working for the cartel.
In addition to the staggering number of murders for which Chavez has taken credit, the manner in which he killed is as brutal as it is shocking.
Chavez told jurors that he often beheaded or dismembered his victims as a means to impress his boss, Castrellon. The goal of each murder, he testified, was to make it as brutal as possible so 'that it would be big news.'
“I feel I did the right thing, since I did so much wrong,” Chavez said in court, explaining why he was now testifying against his former boss, according to Fox News.
Arturo Gallegos Castrellon, 32, is accused of killing two Americans, an employee at the consulate in Juarez and her husband, during a March 2010 drive-by shooting
Castrellon is on trial for ordering the murders of U.S. Consulate worker Lesley Enriquez, her husband, El Paso
County Sheriff's Officer Arthur Redfels, and Jorge Alberto Salcido
Ceniceros, husband of another consulate employee on March 13, 2010.
victims were gunned down after they left a children’s party. The
couple's one-year-old baby was found unharmed in the back seat of their
Authorities believe the victims were mistaken for rival gang members who mistook the white Honda Pilot in which the were riding for that of a rival cartel member from the Sinaloa Cartel - with which the Juarez Cartel has been engaged in a long, bloody turf war.
Consulate employee Lesley Enriquez, 35, and her husband, El Paso County Sheriff's Detention officer Arthur Haycock Redelfs, were gunned down after they left a children's party in March 2010
Ultimately, the Sinaloa cartel won the war and control of the drug-trade route through El Paso and the surrounding areas.
According to Fox, it could be impossible to ever find out how many murders the Barrio Azteca Gang is responsible for. A telling sign, however, is that fact that after 35 members of the gang were arrested in 2010, the number of murders in Juarez fell from 3,622 in 2010 to 2,086 in 2011.
By 2012, the number of murders was down to 751 - a number that would have been unheard of just three years earlier, when Castrellon and his gang were still on the streets.
a security analyst tells the network the real reason the murder rate is
down is because the war between the cartels has come to an end, with
Sinaloa the victor.
The couple's one-year-old daughter, now orphaned, is cradled by a policewoman in the wake of the 2010 shootings which killed her parents
'The murder rate in Juarez persisted
because you had two powerful criminal organizations providing the
weaponry, money and illicit drugs to push gangs to kill one another,' Stratfor Mexico security analyst Tristan Reed said.
In other words, now that the Sinaloa cartel is unrivaled in Juarez, the murder count has decreased.
warns, though, that Barrio Aztecas is still an active and powerful
street gang on the U.S. side of the border and has been implicated in
several high-profile murders in El Paso over the last several years.
'It is important to remember that Los Aztecas are still a very dangerous street gang operating in both Mexico and the United States,' Reed said. 'However, their ability to carry out violence as seen in 2010 is no longer around.'
Hit squad: A soldier patrols near the car in Juarez in which the U.S. consulate worker and her husband were shot dead in 2010