- Allow public varsities to charge fees – Prof Aryeetey tells gov't
- It’ll take Ghana 500 years to stop open defecation - Unicef
- Greenstreet jabs Mahama on economy
- COCOBOD determined to improve the cocoa industry
- Mahama will win and keep me as Sports Minister - Nii Lante
- COCOBOD breaks away from ICU, GAWU
- We need systems to reward creativity financially – Atuahene
- Minister endorses Nana Aba Anamoah and Sandra Akobea as ambassadors for women football
- Mahama has ‘abolished’ ‘Kayayei' - NDC Organizer
- NPP MP Aspirant stops registration in C/R
More from World News
- Kylie Jenner goes make-up free as she opens up about feminism and being a role model
- Khloe Kardashian is virtually unrecognisable in throwback snap from her teen years
- Sad last moments of mouse as hungry cat prepares to pounce
- Legal High drug deaths tripled in last 2 years with men in their 20s at most risk
- Sad remains of the home that saved the life of the Lady with the Lamp: Graffiti covered walls and moss filled hospital beds are all that is left of the centre for 'water cure' treatment which helped Florence Nightingale recover from the Crimean war
- Nayele Ametefe’s mother 'fights' NACOB
- Rawlings - Attivor’s Tribal Comments Distasteful, Unfortunate
- Man Beheads Son And Commits Suicide; Reason Will Shock You
- Faye Mpaebo
- Crazy Sexy Lesbians
- Rise And Fall Of Lilwin And Kwaku Manu
- 2016 Ghana Music Awards Hosts Revealed
- Faye Mpaebo 2
- Kwaku Manu In Italy 3
- Kumawood Actress Admits They Go Naked In Movies To Advise People
- BIE GYA
- Wife Of A Pastor Laughs As Husband Rapes And Assaults Women At Gun Point
- Asem Bi Asi
- Apam kawa
- Me Nyame Ye Nyame
- Sika Di Nya
- Apam kawa 2
- Kwaku Manu In Italy 4
- Kumawood Actress Nana Ama McBrown Excited About This....
- Find Out Why This Woman Committed Suicide
- Rise And Fall Of Lilwin And Kwaku Manu 3
- Cargo Ladies
- Orichie 2
- Supreme Order
- Crazy Sexy Lesbians 2
- Asem Bi Asi 2
- President Mahama Installed Chief In B/R
- Kejetia Abrabo 3
- Kejetia Abrabo
- Game Of Romance
- Apam kawa 3
- Rise And Fall Of Lilwin And Kwaku Manu 2
- Sika Di Nya 2
- Charlotte Osei Explains Concept Behind New EC Logo
- Obiba Sly Collins: I Slept With Over 150 Nigerian Women And My Favourite Is.....
- Nayele Ametefe’s Mother Fights State Over Confiscated Assets
- Sika Di Nya 3
- Ghost On A Mission
- Apam kawa 4
- Tenant Amanehunu
- BIE GYA 2
- Ene Asofour
- 'Tribal Comments Distasteful' - Rawlings
- Akufo-Addo monitors limited registration exercise in Ashanti
- Tenant Amanehunu 2
- Cargo Ladies 2
- Ene Asofour 2
- Game Of Romance 2
- Supreme Order 2
- Ibinabo Fiberesima Thanks God For Not Going To Jail
- Limited voters' registration begins today
- Ghost On A Mission 2
- Tenant Amanehunu 4
- Dudley Politics Graduate Is JAILED After She Tried To Dodge A Speeding Fine
- Huge debts suffocate VRA
- EC's Limited Registration Exercise Takes Off Today
- Tenant Amanehunu 3
- Holy Child Students To Miss Out On Elective Maths Exams?
- Prince 'Died Of AIDS Related Complications'
- Castro Calls Kofi Kinaata On Phone?
- EC boss creating room for rejection of results - Adom Otchere
- Video: Countryman Songo throws fire at EC and Dziffa Attivor
- Mother Blames School Authority Over Ward's Death
- Angry residents in Kumasi to name choked drain after their Mayor
- Four Sue Gov't Over Sale Of Achimota Forest
- Mobile phone scam that leaves you with a £300 bill for calls you never made
- British couple and their son are beaten unconscious by gang in Thailand
- Twum Boafo backs Attivor’s ‘tribal comments’
- Infused with ginger, kola nut, lemongrass and chilli…meet the all new Guinness Africa Special
- NPP’s campaign committees can win power – Lecturer
- Asamoah Gyan Wants Public To Help Report Fake Facebook Pages
- EC Awaits Supreme Court To Decide On Fate Of Register
- Political parties reportedly bribing some prospective voters
- #iChooseJM encourages 18+ to get registered and choose
- Ghana to lose skilled labour to greener countries
- We are ready for change – Tamale residents proclaim
- ‘Absolutely Nothing Wrong With Attivor Comment’ – Volta Group
- Forget voters register, focus on winning elections - Nyaho tells NPP
- Nana & NPP prepare For war
- Mahama will win and keep me as Sports minister - Nii Lante
- American Technology Company Introduces Projector Phones
- BHS Owner Dominic Chappell 'Transferred £1.5m Out Of The Business Last Week'
- Police threaten to impose security detail on flagbearers
- Dzifa Attivor’s ethnocentric comment shameful - Ursula
- Tiwa Savage’s Husband Wants To Commit Suicide
- Vote massively for president Mahama-Martin Luther appeals ? to Ashaiman residents
- Go and register for change - Nana Addo
- ICU threatens court action over 27% petroleum tax
- Giant green fireball caught on camera as it heads towards Earth in this clear video
- I love EC’s new logo – NPP’s Korsah
- 2015 economic growth slows marginally to 3.9%
- CPP commemorates Nkrumah’s death
- Electoral Commission To Use Two Logos
- Akufo-Addo is not tribalistic - Rawlings
- Fox FM raid ‘barbaric, criminal’ – Rev. Asante
- “Ye Wo Krom” Doesn’t Deserve Any Award, It’s Not Original – Wisa Slams Atom
- Stop attacking Attivor for speaking the ‘truth’- Asiedu Nketiah
- School EC boss on nationalism; She’s confused - Dr Gyampoh
- EC opens tender for transmission of election results
- GhIPSS, EDAPT sign new deal
- Unemployed nurses demand compensation from gov’t
- Reggie N Bollie Arrives In Ghana To A Hero’s Welcome
- NDC busing non-residents to registration centers - NPP
- Police Hospital To Bury Unclaimed Bodies
- Admissions to Comm. Day SHS should begin now – Mahama
- High Electricity Bills Threaten Water Supply
- GHc500m domestic bond ill-timed - Economist
- NIB boss penciled for vacant GCB MD position
- NPP must sit up because Mahama is working – Nyaho
- Oscar winner has publicly denied dating Amal Alamuddin - and said they're working together on a 'satellite program over Syria'
- But the couple looked close at private White House event last week
- The pair were seen together at posh D.C. hotel following the event which Clooney's parents Nick and Nina also attended
- Miss Alamuddin has been representing Julian Assange over his sexual assault extradition proceedings
- She was voted No.1 on London's 'Hottest Barrister' list last year
- The White House will make no comment on Miss Alamuddin's attendance
By Sara Nathan
PUBLISHED: 18:49 GMT, 25 February 2014 | UPDATED: 20:17 GMT, 25 February 2014
George Clooney has taken striking British barrister Amal Alamuddin – who represents WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange - to meet President Obama at the White House, MailOnline can reveal.
In a move that will provoke yet more questions over his close friendship with the human rights lawyer, Oscar winner George, 52, took Miss Alamuddin to the private screening of his latest movie Monuments Men last week, in a group that included his parents Nick and Nina Clooney.
The stunning brunette is currently representing Assange - who has made no secret of his anger at President Obama's White House - in his extradition proceedings with Sweden.
Cosy: George Clooney stands next to British barrister Amal Alamuddin at the Willard Hotel's exclusive Round Robin and Scotch Bar in Washington D.C. after they both attended a private screening of his latest movie, Monuments Men, with President Obama at the White House on Tuesday, February 18. His friend and co-producer Grant Heslov is seen sitting down
Meet my friends: George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin have a late-night drink with, from left, Matt Damon, his wife Luciana (sitting down), actor Bill Murray, and producer Grant Heslov
Friends in high places: George Clooney speaks at the private White House screening of his new film, Monuments Men on Tuesday, February 18, with President Barack Obama watching on
The Oscar winner and the lawyer were said to be looking extremely close at the event, and although it's not known whether Miss Alamuddin met President Obama, Clooney is pictured standing by the Commander-in-Chief.
Just hours after the small screening on
Tuesday, February 18, Clooney and Miss Alamuddin were pictured
standing intimately together at the Round Robin and Scotch Bar at the
Willard Hotel in Washington D.C. in a group that included Clooney’s pal and
co-star Matt Damon and his wife Luciana, and fellow actor and co-star Bill Murray.
An onlooker at the bar told MailOnline: 'They looked very much together, George had his arm around her and she appeared to be a girlfriend.
'They were in a small group of about 10 people, it's really a small venue and there were maybe only about 30 people in the bar, and they were sitting at a table off to the side.
Bizarrely, the group can all be seen wearing mardi-gras style necklaces in the snapshot.
Striking: British barrister Amal Amaluddin speaks three languages and was last year voted London's 'hottest barrister'
Miss Alamuddin was not on the official White House guest list that was issued last week.
However, in pictures seen by MailOnline, Miss Alamuddin - who donned a slinky black dress for the night - beams as she sips on champagne while having her hair done ahead of the screening, with Luciana Damon and Lysa Heslev looking on.
The presence of Julian Assange's lawyer
in the White House, even on a movie star's arm for a private screening,
is bound to have put the White House on tenterhooks.
Last June, Assange attacked President Obama and the White House in an open letter over its treatment of fugitive NSA leaker Edward Snowden.
When asked about Miss Alamuddin's presence at the screening, the White House press office had no official comment.
However, two White House sources told MailOnline that Miss Alamuddin came to the event with Clooney, according to their colleagues who were present.
One said she and Clooney were the talk of the junior staff on the next day since they had been seen cozying up to each other as they arrived, walking behind the star's parents, Nick and Nina Clooney.
The film follows an allied group, the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives program, tasked with finding and saving pieces of art and other culturally important items before their destruction by Hitler during World War II.
And the official guest list from the White House shows just what an intimate screening it was. Invited were Clooney, his parents NIck and Nina, Bill Murray, Matt Damon, Grant Heslov, Robert Edsel, writer of the book The Monuments Men and Harry Ettlinger, a surviving member of the original Monuments Men group.
Bill Burns, Deputy Secretary of State, was on the list as was Heather Higginbottom, Deputy Secretary of State and David Wade, State Department Chief of Staff. They were joined by Richard Stengel, Under Secretary of State for Public Affairs, Evan Ryan, Assistant Secretary of State for Educational and Cultural Affairs and Bill McHugh, Secretary of the Army.
Sara Bloomfield, Director the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, was invited as was Rabbi Jack Moline, Agudas Achim Congregation, Susan Hildreth, Director of the Institute of Museum and Library Services and David Ferriero, Archivist of the United States
Friendly: Oscar winner George Clooney was first seen with British barrister Amal Alamuddin as they left dinner at Berners Tavern in London in October 2013. He later denied a romance with the striking lawyer
Cosy dinner: George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin smile as they're caught leaving the Berners Tavern. The actor took the raven-haired barrister to the White House last week
No romance, really? George Clooney denied dating Amal Alamuddin after the couple were pictured together at dinner in London in October. His spokesman said: 'He wants Amal to be able to prosecute cases without being hassled because she had one dinner with George and four others'.
Miss Alamuddin, who works from London's Doughty Street Chambers, specialises in international law, human rights, extradition and criminal law. She speaks three languages - French, Arabic and English - and was voted No. 1 on London's Hottest Barrister list of 2013.
has been appointed to a number of UN commissions including as adviser
to Special Envoy Kofi Annan on Syria and her high profile human rights
cases have included representing former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
She is currently representing Assange in his extradition proceedings with Sweden. The Australian hacker and rogue online publisher is currently wanted for questioning in Sweden in a sexual assault case.
When the UK’s Supreme Court turned down his appeal of an order to enforce the European arrest warrant against him, Assange fled to the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Ecuador granted him political asylum in June 2012.
If he should leave the embassy, the British government will likely send him to Sweden. From there, Assange fears, he could be extradited later to the United States to face even more fearsome charges.
U.S. criminal case stems from his 2010 decision to publish a collection
of American diplomatic cables – the largest cache of classified
documents ever made public at once – on the WIkileaks website.
Assange received the material from Bradley Manning, an American soldier who was later convicted of violating the federal Espionage Act. A judge sentenced Manning last year to 35 years in Fort Leavenworth military prison, although he could be paroled in just eight years.
Representing: Human rights barrister Amal Alamuddin (on the right) leaves London's High Court with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange following a court hearing on July 13, 2011
The day after his sentencing, the disgraced Army private announced that he had changed his name to Chelsea, and that he wanted to live as a woman.
From his sanctuary in the Ecuadorian Embassy, Assange wrote an open letter last June on the occasion of his first anniversary in hiding, slamming the Obama White House for its treatment of the fugitive NSA leaker Edward Snowden.
'The word "traitor" has been thrown around a lot in recent days,' Assange wrote. 'But who is really the traitor here?'
was it who promised a generation "hope" and "change," only to betray
those promises with dismal misery and stagnation? … Who is it that
promised to preside over The Most Transparent Administration in history,
only to crush whistleblower after whistleblower with the bootheel of
Oscar winner Clooney and Miss Alamuddin were first pictured together after enjoying dinner at the Berners Tavern in London last October and then seen sharing a cab as they left the restaurant.
just days later, Clooney was at pains to stress he was still single
after splitting with long-time love Stacy Keibler last summer.
After being linked with actress Katie Holmes and Croatian model Monika Jakisic as well as Miss Alamuddin, Clooney told People magazine in October: ‘Three different stories in three weeks. I should be an athlete. But, no of course, it's all made up.’
At work: Amal Alamuddin and high-profile human rights activist, Geoffrey Robertson QC, with Eugenia Tymoshenko, daughter of formerly imprisoned Ukranian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko in London on November 5, 2012
Enemies of the state: Fugitive NSA leaker Edward Snowden (left) and Bradley Manning (right) an American soldier who was later convicted of violating the federal Espionage Act.
According to Clooney's spokesman, Stan Rosenfield, the actor finally felt moved to put a stop to the gossip.
‘George wants this Monika crap to stop. He wants Katie to get a break, and he wants Amal to be able to prosecute cases without being hassled because she had one dinner with George and four others … I even asked George if these [rumors] were true and he said he never comments on his private life, but in the interest of stopping the harassment of all three of these women, he felt he should.'
A source close to the actor
added: "George is not dating, nor has he dated Monika in several years,
nor is he dating Katie Holmes – he simply hugged her at a premiere – nor
is he the new boyfriend of Amal, who he is working with on a
[surveillance] satellite program over Syria.’